Saturday, March 1, 2014

In like a lion

I'm not sure, but I imagine the saying about March ("in like a lion, out like a lamb") refers to violent weather, such as wind and rain of the sort they've been having in California. Not the delicate, feather-like snow that floated down upon us all the first day of March.
But the snow caused major traffic problems in Denver (a 104-car pileup on I-25) and the mountains (I-70 closed for a while), and even here in Boulder the driving was not easy. I guess this is our snowy white lion of early March.

We were supposed to get maybe half an inch of snow. It wasn't a huge dumping, but this is not half an inch!
They're saying it was three or four inches. And it'll be gone by Tuesday. It's supposed to be in the 60s Thursday. That's March in Boulder for you.

This Thursday, after I left my office, I was kind of in a daze -- relieved that I'd quit but also freaked out by what I'd done. I thought I'd sleep well that night, but I woke up at 1:30 am and stayed awake for hours, so worried about our financial future. As a result, I was pretty useless on Friday, spending much of the day in bed. I took a long nap in the afternoon, and then went to bed early at night, slept soundly, and woke up this morning feeling rested and ready to face the day.

And today was a pretty good day. I did laundry, shoveled snow, planned meals, grocery shopped, picked up a book at the library. We went to swimming lessons, and the boys and RB got haircuts. Tomorrow I'll cook and do more cleaning and laundry. Maybe we'll think of a fun (cheap) activity, though it's supposed to remain very cold.

Nothing is solved for us -- we're back to the drawing board, with no idea how we're going to support ourselves long term. But the anxiety that I've been feeling, especially for the past month or so that I've been on the phone, has subsided. I hope the month of March brings us good things, but whatever it does bring, I should be better able to face it.

No comments:

Post a Comment